- Get your blood pressure tested regularly.
- Eat more heart-healthy foods, including fish, poultry, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and cheese and skim or low-fat milk.
- If you drink alcohol, limit your intake to no more than one drink a day.
- If you smoke, it's high time to quit this deadly habit!
- Get your cholesterol checked at regular intervals.
- Start exercising on a regular basis — even 20 minutes will do the trick.
Be sure to talk to your doctor about your personal heart-health history and genetic risks. Do everything you can to prevent cardiovascular disease — and share this lifesaving advice with your friends, sisters, daughters, and the other women in your life. You'll be glad you did!