Being active with your family is a great way to bond and boost your health at the same time. I've always been sure to involve my family members in my healthy lifestyle, and as I watch my daughters get older, I'm proud that a lot of what I've taught over the years seems to have stuck with them!
Here are some ideas for getting your whole family moving:
- Shoot for 60. Remember that for good health, kids should ideally get at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day. All kinds of activities count, so encourage kids to get moving by walking fast, running, dancing, jumping rope, riding bikes, skating, snowboarding, swimming, playing basketball and soccer — even climbing stairs!
- Plan active family outings. Go for a hike or bike ride together on the weekends if you can, and take your next vacation to a place with lots of outdoor activities.
- Take a walk. Start a tradition of taking a walk together after meals. And if you normally drive your kids to school or to a friend's house, try walking with them instead (assuming your destination isn't too far away!).
- Create a space for activity. Set aside one room in the house that is a comfortable, safe place where your kids can rock out and be active! Fill it with balls, hula hoops, and other active games and puzzles — and don't be embarrassed to join in the fun!
- Set limits. Encourage your kids to take part in activities that involve moving, not sitting. Set limits on how much time they spend watching TV, playing video games, and surfing the Internet. (And make sure you observe these limits, too!)