Antioxidants are vital to overall health, especially as we age: They may decrease the risk of infection, boost your immune system and help minimize damage to cells that may accelerate aging – especially important when you are in the summer sun!
The best sources – surprise! – are fresh, whole foods. Vegetables, fruits and nuts can provide many of the antioxidants your body needs, so add these foods to your grocery list!
- Artichokes (try the Slow-Roasted Fish with Artichokes and Tomatoes recipe in my Plan!)
- Goji Berries
- Red Cabbage
My 10-Week Whole Body Plan includes hundreds of recipes that focus on whole, fresh foods like the ones mentioned above – start your free trial and check it out!
And if you need some tips on getting these and other antioxidant-rich foods into your diet, try these tips:
- When boiling pasta, toss in raw broccoli during the last few minutes, drain and serve with your favorite sauce.
- Order a side of steamed or sauteed veggies instead of fries with your sandwich or burger.
- Add lightly steamed fresh or frozen chopped veggies to soup.
- Stack kale, spinach leaves, red peppers, cucumbers or sprouts on sandwiches. My 10-Week Plan has delicious sandwich recipes including a Hummus and Veggie Sandwich and Open-Faced Eggplant Goat Cheese Sandwich – so delicious!
- Have portable fruits like oranges and apples on hand and take with you when on-the-go.
- Top a pizza or entree with chopped broccoli, carrots, zucchini and other veggies. (Depending on cooking time, you may want to lightly steam certain veggies first.)
- Try a veggie omelet as an alternative to scrambled or poached eggs.
- Add a handful of berries to your yogurt, cottage cheese or cereal.
- Snack on celery sticks spread with almond butter or hummus.
Let’s get fitter, together – inside and out,