Getting your antioxidants is crucial to overall health, especially as we age: Antioxidants may decrease the risk of infection, boost your immune system and help minimize damage to cells that may accelerate aging – especially important when you are in the summer sun!
The best sources of antioxidants – surprise! – are fresh, whole foods. Vegetables, fruits and nuts can provide many of the antioxidants your body needs, so add these foods to your grocery list, courtesy of my Stop The Clock Nutrition Plan!
- Goji Berries
- Red Cabbage
And if you need some tips on getting these and other antioxidant-rich foods into your diet, try these tips:
- Stack kale, spinach leaves, red peppers, cucumbers or sprouts on sandwiches.
- When boiling pasta, toss in raw broccoli during the last few minutes, drain and serve with your favorite sauce.
- Order a side of steamed or sauteed veggies instead of fries with your sandwich or burger.
- Add lightly steamed fresh or frozen chopped veggies to soup.
- Have portable fruits like oranges and apples on hand and take with you when on-the-go.
- Top a pizza or entree with chopped broccoli, carrots, zucchini and other veggies. (Depending on cooking time, you may want to lightly steam certain veggies first.)
- Try a veggie omelet as an alternative to scrambled or poached eggs.
- Add a handful of berries to your yogurt, cottage cheese or cereal.
- Snack on celery sticks spread with almond butter or hummus.
I hope these tips help with sneaking in more antioxidants this summer! And if you haven’t yet gotten my Stop The Clock Nutrition Plan, check it out today! Recipes, eating tips, healthy food swaps and checklists and more are just a download away!