Let’s keep our hair healthy, shiny and looking GREAT this summer, with these DIY hair masks! It’s important to take care of your hair when you are working out frequently – like you are doing right now, with this Summer Slimmer Challenge! When you are exercising a lot, it can lead to more hair washing and styling. This in turn can lead to hair getting dull or overstressed. That’s why caring for hair is important when you are working out more – and why I am running down a list of the best hair masks to make at home!
Regardless of your hair type, there are a handful of ways to revamp dry hair with products you have right in your kitchen! I love to whip up these homemade, DIY hair masks for a nourishing shine, and apply them whenever my hair feels dried out. You can apply just to the ends or on most of your hair, do what’s right for you. You’ll feel and look beautiful! Try these shiny-hair suggestions:
- Coconut Oil Hair Mask. My personal favorite remedy, coconut oil is considered the magical healer of dried out hair. To use, warm the oil for about twenty seconds, and with your fingertips, apply starting at the ends of the hair and work your way up. Leave this mask in overnight (put your hair in a shower cap if you need to) and rinse out in the morning for completely rejuvenated hair!
- Banana and Almond Oil. After using this mask my hair was left soft, smooth, and moisturized. If you’d like to give it a try it’s simple: mash up one medium banana, and mix in one teaspoon of almond oil. Then, massage into your hair and let sit for thirty minutes. Finally, shampoo and condition your hair as you normally would.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse. Another way to treat dry hair is to simply add apple cider vinegar into your shower routine. Pour some of the vinegar into a bowl, apply to your scalp and hair, and after five to ten minutes, rinse out and continue your hair-washing routine, as normal. You will be amazed at how shiny your hair will look!
- Olive Oil. Olive oil is one of the most effective treatments for dry hair, and most likely something you already have lying around the house. It’s great for the skin, too. All you have to do is warm the oil for about fifteen seconds, apply and massage into your scalp, then wash out with shampoo. Easy, fast, and totally nourishing!
- Brown Sugar and Olive Oil Scrub. I love this scrub because not only does it exfoliate the scalp, but it also restores moisture into your hair. To use, combine two tablespoons of brown sugar and one tablespoon of olive oil and mix. Next, massage into the scalp with circular motions, rinse to remove, shampoo, and condition. (You can also use any leftovers as a DIY body polish, especially good on your elbows, knees and feet!)
So treat yourself AND your hair with these best hair masks for a nourishing shine – you are worth it! You can even invite some girlfriends over and do hair masks together – spending time with loved ones is another way to stay healthy, so combine the two!