Walking Challenge Recipe: Huevos Rancheros Skillet Bowl
Welcome Walking Challenge participants! This is a wonderful, hearty breakfast option – get ready to make this a favorite in your recipe stable. Makes 4 servings….enjoy!!
- 4, 6-inch corn tortillas
- 4 eggs (2 per serving)
- 1 can rinsed beans (pinto, cannellini, or black beans)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons no-salt taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 lime – cut into wedges
- Hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large pan, saute onion in a little olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, sauté for a minute or two. Add 1/2 of the diced tomatoes (saving the other half for garnish) and cooked rinsed beans, spices, salt, and 2 Tablespoons water. Let simmer on medium low for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Brush cast iron skillets or one large skillet with olive oil, coating the edges. Lay tortillas down and brush tops of tortillas with a little oil.
- Divide the bean mixture, making little indentations with the back of a spoon, for the eggs to rest, so they stay in place (if using large skillet, layer the tortillas so they come up the sides of the skillet a bit (you may need a couple extra), and spread all of the beans evenly over the tortillas, making indentations for the eggs).
- Carefully break the eggs and place them in the indentations. Sprinkle eggs with salt and crumbled cheese, and place in the hot oven.
- Check after 10 minutes. Cook until egg whites are white and yolks are to your desired doneness. Serve with avocado, lime, cilantro, hot sauce, and fresh tomatoes. Add dollops of sour cream.