Let’s talk GREEN TEA! I try and drink EIGHT 8-ounce glasses of water every day, but I also do love a glass of green tea—hot or cold. Over ice, it’s so refreshing on a hot day and during the cooler days, it warms your insides. And what’s more, it’s SOO good for you! In addition to being a great morning or afternoon pick-me-up, drinking green tea can provide you with so many wonderful health benefits, too!
Here are a few good reasons for you to drink up!
1. Boost Your Metabolism! A study reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that green tea-extract increases the metabolism by 4% over a 24 hour period, which means that green tea can directly help lead to increased weight loss!
2. Improve Brain Function! Green tea does contain less caffeine than coffee, but still just enough caffeine to to get you going in the morning and is easier to digest than coffee. And when that caffeine is combined with amino acid L-theanin, which naturally is found in green tea, it has been known to improve brain function.
3. Preventative Medicine! Green tea also has powerful antioxidants that may protect against cancer. Multiple studies show that green tea drinkers have a lower risk of various types of cancer in particular: breast cancer, prostate cancer and colorectal cancer. Green tea is also loaded with bioactive compounds. Studies have shown that these bioactive compounds can have several protective efforts on neurons and may reduce the risk of both Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
4. Fight Infection & Halitosis! Green tea also contains catechins,a natural antioxidant. According to research, the catechins in green tea may inhibit the growth of bacteria and some viruses. This can lower the risk of infections and lead to improvements in dental health, and EVEN help reduce bad breath!
5. May Lower Blood Sugar Levels. In a recent trial, it was shown that green tea can cause mild reductions in blood sugar levels, which may also lower the risk of developing type II diabetes in long term.
6. Improves Heart Health. Studies also show that green tea drinkers have a 31% lower risk of cardiovascular disease! So let’s toast to heart health!
I’m a big believer in drinking water and those 8 glasses are still a priority, but every afternoon I do enjoy a cup of green tea as a little pick me up. It does have caffeine so you don’t want to over-do.
It’s all about finding the right balance between eating well, exercising and staying on track. It’s those little habits that make a big difference overall. I would love to help you make it easier. Join my 10-Week Plan and I’ll guide you everyday making your life easier with what I know works in the 30 years I’ve been helping people get fit and healthy!
Love always from Your Personal Trainer,