12 Easy Ways To Go Green!
Have you “gone green” yet? There are many easy steps you can take to give back to the environment so we can all continue to enjoy our beautiful planet! Here are a few simple ways you can show our planet your love, and save money and calories, too! Try these suggestions and then come up with more ideas of your own. The possibilities are endless!
- Carry your own bags. Invest in solid canvas bags you can take with you on your weekly shopping trip so you don’t have to use paper or plastic. Some stores even offer a discount if you bring your own bags.
- Bring your own bottle. Instead of shelling out a dollar or more for a bottle of water at the gym, fill up an aluminum water bottle at the fountain. Keep a mug or glass on your desk at work to refill at the cooler.
- Pack your lunch. Cut down on restaurant take-out packaging by bringing last night’s leftovers for lunch in a washable container. You’ll save on calories, fat, and sodium as well.
- Ride your bike or walk! Save on gas and reduce emission by biking or walking to work or to run errands. Public transportation is an environmentally friendly option as well. If you must drive, at least combine your errands so you can do them all in one trip. You’ll save time too!
- Wear a sweater. Turn the heat a few degrees lower in the winter, and a few degrees higher in the summer, to save energy. Stay warm, or cool, by dressing for the season.
- Sort your garbage. Set aside paper, magazines, aluminum cans, and plastic and glass bottles for recycling. Contact your sanitation department to find out about pickup options or where to drop off the recycling. In many states, you can recycle bottles and cans at local supermarkets and get back a deposit for each one!
- Make your own gifts. For birthdays, holidays and other occasions, create unique gifts at home instead of buying something (typically with disposable packaging) at the store. Bake or cook a special treat, give a nice piece of clothing or jewelry that you haven’t worn in a long time, or write a poem on a handmade card, it’s really the thought that counts! When my daughters write us letters they are priceless.
- Let the sunshine in. Throw back the curtains and open the blinds to let the sun in. You’ll save electricity and bask in the natural light.
- Turn off the lights. Make a point of turning off the lights when you leave the room and taking plugs out of their sockets when you’re not using certain items like cell phone chargers, toaster, computers and more. Every little bit counts.
- Shop locally. Buying fruits and veggies from local farmers helps support them and saves money because the produce doesn’t have to travel far and wide to reach you. Plus, foods will taste fresher because it’s been less time since they were picked.
- Go organic. When you can, buy organic foods, fewer chemicals are used when they’re grown or produced.
- Buy in bulk. Foods that are available in bulk, such as oats, rice and barley, use less packaging. Plus, they’re typically cheaper!
Love always from Your Personal Trainer,