Hi Everyone! One of the questions I get asked over and over is how often I exercise. While this answer shouldn’t be the same for everyone, because everyone has different lifestyles and bodies, I suggest most get active at least 3-5 times per week! Staying active and getting regular exercise is something I will always promote! Having an active lifestyle is critical to staying healthy and fit – at any age but especially as we reach our 40’s and 50’s – however, sometimes more isn’t better! Rest days are just as important to incorporate into your routine as well. Here are some reasons why:
- Lets your body recover – Taking rest days each week will allow your muscles to recover and get ready for your next tough workout! Your body also needs this time to rehydrate after a good sweat session – so drink that water! Another way I love to help my muscle recovery is by drinking Rejuvenate. Both the ready to drink and drink mix packets are equally delicious and help my muscles rebuild and repair – even while sleeping!
- Give muscles time to grow – During a rest day, your muscles have the chance to repair themselves from the stress that has been put on them during workouts, and while they are repairing the are growing stronger. Give those muscles time to recover, adapt and grow stronger!
- Help prevent injury – Overworking your body will increase your chances of injury! Your reaction time, agility and endurance will probably go down if you don’t give your body a chance to rest.
For most, one rest day per week is all you need. If you have a really high intensity workout routine, you may need to adjust that, but in general one day off is perfect. If you would like to incorporate some lower intensity workout options into rest days, that is just fine! Try to find something you enjoy. A couple of nice lower intensity exercise options would be walking or yoga.
Before the beginning of a new week, I make it a point to sit down and outline my exercise plan for the week – and make sure to pencil in rest days. This is what a typical week of exercise looks like for me:
- Monday – Cardio blast to start my week – try this 30 Minute Full Body Workout Katie and I did together!
- Tuesday – Full Body Strength Training – I love using a resistance band and stability ball. Check out my Shape, Strengthen and Sculpt Kit. You will see amazing results!
- Wednesday – A long walk, outside if possible! I love to schedule this ahead of time with a friend or two. Having an exercise date with a friend will give you something to look forward to in the middle of your week!
- Thursday – Strengthening Yoga or Pilates
- Friday – Cardio blast to get ready for the weekend!
- Saturday – Cardio and Strength Training – I love Pilates because it incorporates both of these, a great all in one workout! This is one of my favorite Pilates routines from my Whole Body Plan!
- Sunday – Rest Day! I love to take my rest days and reset for the next week – meal plan and get anything prepped that I am able to, and schedule out my exercise routine!
I hope these tips help you all to stay healthy and fit well into your 40’s and 50’s and beyond!! A lot of the workouts I mention here are from my YouTube channel. I add new workouts all the time – be sure to subscribe so you never miss a new workout! Or start your free 30-day trial of my plan today – I will continue to motivate and teach you how to make healthy a lifestyle! You can do it and you are worth it!!
Let’s get fitter, together – inside and out,