Hi Everyone! I often get asked what I do for my skin as I get older, and the answer is: whatever it takes to get beautiful, younger looking skin after 40! That includes eating healthy foods, making sure I get regular exercise to keep the blood flowing, following some healthy aging beauty strategies, and – of course – focusing on some extra skin-care routines. So here are some tips for anyone looking to achieve younger looking skin after 40 – I do these to help keep my skin soft, supple and younger looking – give them a try!
6 Tips For Younger Looking Skin After 40
- Exfoliate. When we are young, we generate new skin cells every two to three weeks. But as we age, the process takes longer – up to six weeks when we are in our 70s and 80s! When new cell growth slows down, we are left with older, flatter looking, duller skin for an extended period of time. The good news is we can all take steps to keep our skin looking young and supple! Exfoliation can help shed the dead skin cells and jump-start the regeneration process. Look around and find an exfoliating product that’s right for you depending on your skin type, and make gentle exfoliation part of your skin-care routine.
- Facials. I try to get a professional facial every six weeks. Facials deep clean your pores, remove dead skin cells and increase your blood circulation, bringing vital nutrients to the skin surface. Ask a friend for a recommendation if you haven’t had a facial before, and give it a try!
- Steaming. One of the best ways to really cleanse your skin is a simple steaming. Steaming also relaxes your facial muscles, increasing circulation and helping to remove dirt and makeup from your pores. I like to use some of my favorite herbs such as peppermint, lavender and rosemary when steaming my face.
- Leave blemishes alone. We all get blemishes from time to time, for a variety of reasons. Instead of picking at them – which can make them worse in the short term, and even lead to scarring in the long term, apply a topical blemish fighter and a little cover up. While it’s not the same as clear skin, in the long run the result will be better. You can also try this insider tip from my favorite facialist – apply an ice cube to the inflamed spot for several minutes to help speed up the healing process!
- Try a supplement that contains hyaluronic acid. This acid is largely found in our skin and is so important for skin moisture, as it is related to elasticity and ultimately how wrinkly our skin can become. Because our levels of hyaluronic acid diminish as we age, you may want to consider adding a supplement that contains this acid as part of your youthful beauty routine to help achieve younger looking skin after 40.
- Finally – don’t forget your neck! Whatever you do for your face you should be doing for your neck as well. The skin on your neck is similarly fragile and requires the same skin-saver steps mentioned above.
I hope these youthful skin tips help you navigate your way to keeping a youthful glow to your face – no matter what your age! For more healthy beauty and aging suggestions, start your free trial of my 10-Week Plan! I have workouts designed for different age groups, healthy food suggestions in my food plan (which you can personalize to your liking), and fun encouragements and inspirations to keep you on track. Give it a try today!
Let’s get fitter, together – inside and out,