Last week we went over some vacation workout suggestions, and this week we continue the travel-themed focus with my tips about how to eat healthy on vacation! As we all know, summertime is travel time, and I do a lot of it – not only in the summer but year-round! And these best vacation eating tips have helped me to not only enjoy eating while traveling, but to feel great about it, too!
One of my favorite things about traveling is trying new restaurants and enjoying local foods. I love food! I can’t recommend enough to get out there, try new things, and sample the local produce and cooking styles. It’s so much fun and really it’s just about moderation to help you stay on track with your weight goals. Here’s what I do when I’m traveling so that I’m really enjoying myself and feeling great about it, because food is fabulous!
Eat Healthy On Vacation:
- Watch your portion sizes. Enjoy eating and trying new things, just remember to control the size of your portions at each meal. Portion control can make or break your healthy eating habits, especially with restaurants super-sizing meals. If you cheat by miscalculating your serving sizes, you’re only cheating yourself. Remember that you don’t need to finish everything on your plate, and if you plan ahead, you can book a hotel room that has a refrigerator and take back the extras to eat for a meal later.
- Sample and share! Don’t be shy to ask the waiter about the portion sizes before you order – different restaurants, regions and cultures serve things up in different sizes! Also don’t be shy about splitting an entree, appetizer, or even a dessert! It is a simple way to try new foods while taking in fewer calories so you don’t feel deprived. Sharing can be a really fun way to try lots of different things while not overeating.
- Have healthy snacks ready. If you know you’ll be tempted by rich foods, have a healthy snack before dinner. You’ll feel fuller and will be less likely to indulge once you arrive at the restaurant. You can pack healthy snacks like almonds, apples, dried fruit and cut-up veggies – all travel well and are a great way to fill up while traveling or before a big dinner. My LifeFit 360 10-Week Whole Body Plan has a complete, personalized eating plan that includes healthy snack ideas – many of which are good for traveling. Join today to start your personalized meal program and take the tips and hints with you on your travels!
- Always add some produce to your order. Order a side of fruit, a salad, mixed veggies or whatever else is offered up. Fruits and veggies provide lots of healthy nutrients, plus fiber which will help fill you up and help you stay regular, which can be a problem for some people when traveling.
- Substitute. If a dish comes with fries, don’t hesitate to ask for it with a salad or a steamed veggie instead. Likewise, if a meat or veggie is prepared with lots of heavy oils, ask about lighter preparation options or choose another dish. Restaurants want to make you happy (you are the customer, after all), so chances are they’ll be willing to help.
I hope these five ways to eat healthy on vacation will help you stay on track with your goals while you travel – and encourage you to enjoy and explore the food options wherever you may be going! If you want more nutrition insight or want to bring an eating plan with you to follow on your travels, start your free trial of my Whole Body Plan today!! Bon voyage!
Let’s get fitter, together – inside and out,