Healthy Meal Prep? Here Are 9 Easy Tips!
Want some quick and easy meal plan prep tips? This post is for you! It seems like I am always pressed for time (I’m sure you you feel that way, too, sometimes!). And occasionally that can get in the way of eating a healthy diet – but it doesn’t have to! Here are some of my tricks for healthy meal prep so you are eating a diet that will help you stay healthy and fit. These tips require just a little prep time and will help you to avoid giving into daily cravings:
Healthy Meal Prep: 9 Tips
- Look for quick prep side items at the grocery store. Pre-cut fresh veggies< and brown rice can both be steamed in less than 10 minutes, adding healthy sides to your meal. Or, combine together with a little soy sauce, tops with some slivered almonds, and you have a healthy veggie bowl! My DeniseAustin.com plan offers delicious, fast and easy recipes in the personalized eating plan – check it out today!
- Buy bagged salads. They are a huge time saver, and you can easily add your favorite seasonal fruits such as sliced apples, strawberries, and blueberries and then toss in some walnuts for extra crunch and protein.
- Small apples are great for when you are on-the-go. These can also be sliced up and served with a roasted chicken and packaged salad for a Fat-Blasting Meal-in-a-Minute. A healthy meal prep meal in no time at all!
- Pick up some prepared foods from the deli counter, such as roasted turkey and rotisserie chicken (stay away from the fatty skin), and even some veggie-based sides – avoid the mayo-laden pasta salads. If you’re a vegetarian, tofu is a great meat substitute that provides many of the same nutrients!
- Whip up a homemade veggie pizza. Spread low-sodium tomato sauce on a pre-made whole-wheat flatbread, add some healthy toppings such as broccoli, spinach, fresh tomatoes and black olives, and pop it in the oven for a few minutes!
- When eating takeout is truly unavoidable (try not to let this happen more than once a week!), opt for the healthier options. Go for a grilled chicken sandwich or a single-patty hamburger minus the cheese on one slice of bread or on a large leaf of romaine lettuce. Or try veggie-loaded grilled steak or chicken fajitas (without the fatty extras like sour cream) from the nearby Mexican chain. Some steamed shrimp and vegetables (with sauce on the side) from your local Asian restaurant is also a healthy choice.
- Go nuts! Nuts are full of protein, minerals and healthy fats – it’s all about omega-3s, and they require no preparation or clean up. Grab a handful next time you’re on the go.
- Cook in large batches. This is the ultimate healthy meal prep tip – cook it once, then freeze for later! Try cooking some legumes and intact whole grains in big batches and freeze them in single servings. These can later be thawed and heated in 1-2 minutes and added to any meal.
- Cut up some fresh veggies and fruit every few days. It only takes 10 minutes, and you will have healthy snack options waiting for you when you are hungry. Add a spoonful of hummus or fresh yogurt for some protein!
I hope you liked these healthy meal prep tips – try them out and see what a time saver they can be! And if you want some quick, healthy and DELICIOUS recipes from me, join my DeniseAustin.com Plan! I will teach you how to live happy, healthy and fit! Start your free trial today!
Let’s get fitter, together – inside and out,