It’s finally summer! I’m so excited—sunshine, swimming and adventure!!! It seems like one of the first things people always ask each other is, “Where are YOU going this summer?” We have some fun trips planned with my family and I can’t wait! I travel a LOT—sometimes every week—and between packing and unpacking and the go-go-go, I know how tricky it can be to stick to your health and fitness goals when you’re not in your regular routine at home! But I’ve gotten it DOWN and I really love it and am excited to share with you some of the things that I do when it comes to food and fitness—even how to fight jet lag! And trust me, when you stay on track when even just a little bit, you’ll feel great when you get home. So get ready to enjoy the sense of accomplishment!
First, let’s talk jet lag! There are three things you can do to avoid jet lag:
- Drink a glass of water for every hour that you’re on a flight. So, for a three-hour flight make sure you have at least three glasses of water.
- When you land, try and squeeze in 20 minutes of exercise to get your blood circulating.
- Get out into the fresh air and get some sunshine. Vitamin D does wonders for jet lag and remember, oxygen equals energy!
Next, let’s talk fitness. Whether you’re going on a holiday or hitting the road for business, it can be tough to squeeze in a workout! One of my favorite things to do when I travel is to get out there and explore every day! I research ahead of time for tips on good local walks or hikes. Have a power walk and take it all in!
It’s also nice that more and more hotels are offering workout rooms. I try to wake up and hit the gym, maybe try some new equipment to mix things up on your workout. It will help to give you lots of energy to get through the rest of the day and you’ll feel good.
Just want to stay in your hotel room to exercise? That’s okay! I have workouts that you can do right in the privacy of your room. All you need is a smart phone, laptop or tablet and four feet of space! If you’re a monthly member of my website with my new Monthly All Access Denise plan or are doing my customized 10-Week, 360 Plan then just pack along your workout clothes and we can do this together wherever you go! Super easy!!! And if you don’t have a full 30 minutes to spare, you can squeeze in 10 minutes wherever you can as my workouts are all offered in 10 minute segments that you can easily search through based on your fitness level, the time you want to spend working out and whether you want to do barre, yoga, cardio, toning, stretching, or even dance! Shimmy and shake your way to fit!
Now let’s talk about food! One of my favorite things about traveling is trying new restaurants and enjoying local foods!!! Get out there and DO try new things, sample the local produce and cooking styles, it’s so much fun and it’s really about moderation. I love food! Here’s what I do when I’m traveling so that I’m really enjoying myself AND feeling great about it because food is fabulous
1. Watch your portion sizes. Enjoy it and try new things, just remember to control the size of your portions at each meal. Portion control can make—or break—your healthy eating habits, especially with restaurants super-sizing meals. If you cheat by miscalculating your serving sizes, you’re only cheating yourself.
2. Sample & Share! Try and ask the waiter about the portion sizes before you order! Split an entree, an appetizer, or even a dessert! It is a simple way to cut calories and not feel deprived. That can be a really fun way to try lots of different things while not overeating.
3. Snack before you go. If you know you’ll be tempted by rich foods, have a healthy snack before dinner. You’ll feel fuller and will be less likely to indulge once you arrive at the restaurant. Sometimes I will just grab a small apple and a few almonds.
4. Substitute. If a dish comes with fries, don’t hesitate to ask for it with a salad or a steamed veggie instead. Likewise, if a meat or veggie is prepared with lots of heavy oils, ask about lighter preparation options or choose another dish. Restaurants want to make you happy (you are the customer, after all), so chances are they’ll be willing to help.
Most importantly, get out there and have FUN! By thinking ahead, you will be equipped to travel in a healthy style and you’ll have a great time doing it! You can DO it and you ARE WORTH it.
Love always from Your Personal Trainer,