Get those white pants out because the good weather, pool parties, vacations and BBQs are here! And I want YOU to look and feel your very best!
I think that the best inspiration to get and stay motivated is when you see amazing changes in your body, your energy level, how well you sleep, and how well your clothes fit! And when you feel great you know what the reward is and it’s a little easier to stay on the path of living a healthy and fit lifestyle.
Here are my TOP 10 TIPS:
- Music is key to getting motivated, so I blast it when I work out. Upload songs to your smart phone or treat yourself to a favorite CD, but only allow yourself to listen to your new music when you work out. It’ll give you something to look forward to.
- Give yourself a non-food reward after a week’s worth of healthy eating and exercise. Some suggestions: half an hour when you turn off the phone and curl up with a good book or magazine, getting a manicure, or buying yourself some flowers or a candle for your home or office.
- Find a workout buddy. This really helps me stick with and look forward to my work-outs. Every Sunday, I pull out my calendar and call my friends to set up exercise dates for the week. I love that I can stay in shape and stay in touch with friends.
- Make healthy living a cinch. Put your workout clothes out the night before or keep your gym bag stocked and in your car. These things make it easier to exercise, and just the sight of your workout clothes is a great reminder.
- Hang a calendar somewhere that you can see it often–the refrigerator, above your computer–and put a sticker or special mark on the days you work out and eat right. Seeing evidence of your hard work will inspire you to keep it up.
- Pick a time of day that you’re going to exercise and stick with it. This way it becomes part of your schedule and makes you feel more committed. Its like an oath to yourself that you won’t want to break. Without some planning, your day can easily get ahead of you.
- Pick a close friend and e-mail your workout log to him or her each week. When you know someone else is “watching,” you’re more likely to stick with it.
- Slip on your workout clothes and don’t take them off until you sweat. This is one of the biggest things I do to stay motivated (yes, even I have trouble at times). The second I wake up, I put on my workout clothes and sneakers because I know that I’d be embarrassed to take them off without squeezing in a workout.
- TV can be another motivator. I like to watch ESPN (with sound turned off while listening to music) because all those athletes get my psyched up. But you can also record your favorite shows and work out while watching, or use the commercials to do exercise such as squats, crunches, and push-ups.
- Make healthy foods look more appetizing and thus more satisfying. Instead of eating yogurt out of the container, put it in a bowl and alternate layers of yogurt and fruit, or make fish and veggies more appealing by adding a garnish of mint or parsley.
I find that it helps when you have a plan to make it easier so that eating right and working out becomes a healthy part of your regular routine. If you’re looking for some motivational support, join my plan. Every day, right there on your smart phone or tablet or computer, I will give you your daily meal plan and your workout of the day, keeping it fresh and balanced and making it easy for you to stay on track, all customized just for you. Whether you’re already fit or just starting out, vegetarian or diabetic, we will work together to create the right dietary and exercise plan just for you and you’ll be on track and feeling great in no time. You can DO it! Life is precious and you deserve to feel GREAT!
Love always from Your Personal Trainer,