Summer is HERE – and I couldn’t be more excited to share some 10 quick calorie blasters for summer! It’s my favorite time of year: I love BBQs, reading outdoors, going for long walks in the evening, and taking advantage of all the things warm weather offers up! One thing to keep in mind this summer, as you enjoy cookouts and vacations and hanging out with friends and family, is to not let your healthy goals go to the wayside! The good news is you CAN enjoy yourself and still take little bitty steps to prevent gaining weight or falling off your workout routine. My 10 quick calorie blasters for summer list can guide the way!
Here are some tips on stepping your activity up just a notch this summer – trust me, you won’t even know you’re doing these calorie blasters, and all these extra steps will really go a long way to helping you feel and look your best! You can get more information like this in my Stop The Clock Fitness and Nutrition Guide Bundle, too!! Two downloadable, printable guides to help you get in shape through fitness and food!! Everything you need to tone up, eat right, and look Fit and Fab After 40!!
My Calorie Blasters:
- Dance your dinner off. Whether you’re out on a Saturday night or staying at home, turn on your favorite tunes. The beat will keep you moving your feet, not to mention burning off some extra calories.
- Stand up every hour on the hour and stretch your arms overhead. It opens your chest and brings oxygen into your lungs. It’s great for circulation and enhancing your energy level. If you can, throw in one minute of jumping jacks to really get the blood flowing and up that calorie burn level!
- Take the stairs instead of elevators. In addition to burning more calories, you’ll save time – one study showed that waiting to ride an elevator takes twenty seconds longer than climbing up one flight of stairs! Today, see if you can take the stairs at least once when you normally wouldn’t. Then tomorrow, do it twice. In no time, you’ll be a stair master! If you need to go up several flights and climb them all, try a combination of the stairs and elevator. Every step counts!
- Walk up the escalator rather than just riding along. You’ll burn calories and get to where you’re going in no time.
- Ride your bike. Decrease your dependency on your car and see how many errands you can run (or how much commuting you can do) by bike. Biking is fantastic exercise because it helps tone your legs and gives you a great fat-blasting cardio workout.
- Use your stairs more often. If you live in a house with more than one level, bring things up or down the stairs as needed rather than letting a pile gather and then doing so.
- Try this wall squat next time you’re chatting on the phone: Stand up and lean your back lightly against a wall, making sure to press your spine flat. Then, as if you are sitting down in a chair, slowly lower your body along the wall until your knees are bent to at least a forty-five-degree angle (but don’t go lower than ninety degrees). Hold that position for as long as you can. Start with twenty seconds and work your way up to sixty-second intervals. Repeat the exercise every few minutes during a phone call and you’ll really give those thighs a workout! (For more workouts like this, check out my YouTube “Fidget-Cisors”!)
- Prioritize walking over emailing. At work, walk to a co-worker’s office to tell her something rather than e-mailing. Not only will you burn a few calories and stretch your legs, but you’ll reap the benefits of making a human connection instead of computerized one. You could also add my Stop The Clock Cardio Walking Workout to your day, for even more calorie and fat burning exercise!
- Walk the kids to camp rather than driving them. Childhood obesity is a huge epidemic, and physical education classes at many schools are being cut from school schedules. So if it’s possible to walk to your child or grandchild’s camp or summer school from your home, do so. You’ll help establish healthy habits at a young rate – and that’s priceless.
- Lift and lengthen your legs while you cook. I stretch my legs like a ballerina using my kitchen countertops. Just lift your leg, place your heel on the counter and, with your abs in, fold over your leg and reach for your toes. If you do this and other stretches often enough, you will be able to touch them one day!
And don’t forget this easy one: Save on my Stop The Clock Bundle! Everything you need to live a healthy, happy, energetic life – even if you are on vacation!
Let’s get fitter, together – inside and out,