If you are looking to start a more active lifestyle, a great way to begin is to get fit by walking! Thinking about starting a new exercise routine can be daunting, and you might be asking yourself some of the following questions:
- Where do I begin?
- How often do I need to work out?
- Am I going to have to learn a new set of skills to get started?
How to Get Fit by WalkingI strongly believe that you shouldn’t have to change your entire life in order to live healthier. By making a few changes, you should be able to fit healthy habits easily into your everyday life. Walking is one of those easy changes that can drastically improve your well-being. Working out doesn’t actually have to feel like “working out”! And you can always start as slow as you need to.Walking for just 30 minutes per day is all you need to reap the benefits of physical activity. It can be as effective (if not more so) than jogging. While walking, you can burn fat, boost your metabolism, and/or lose weight. Exactly how much you get out of it will depend on the intensity of your walks and what other healthy habits you’re practicing during the rest of your time. My 4-Week Walking Challenge encourages you to walk every day for 30 minutes - it's one of my most popular challenges, so join today for free!
My Tips for a Successful Walking RoutineHere are a few tips to help you make the most of your walks.
- Wear the right shoes - supportive and not too worn out!
- Schedule your walks for a time in the day that you will be able to commit to it. I like walking in the morning, but do what works for you!
- Bring a water bottle. It's important to stay hydrated!
- Wear a pedometer to track your steps ... it can help motivate you!
- Choose to walk instead of drive when you’re going somewhere close by.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible - extra steps count!
- Mix it up a bit - don’t go the same route or at the same pace every time.
Different Types of WalkingWalking is such a great form of exercise, but sometimes you need to spice things up a bit. Try out any of the following for your 30 minutes of cardio.
- Power walking. Go as fast as you can to really burn more calories!
- Hill or incline walking. This is will workout your booty and burn more fat and calories!
- Beach walking - an especially great workout for your calves!
- Interval walking (alternating moderate walking with speed walking)
- Walk indoors when the weather is inclement. Members of DeniseAustin.com have access to my popular 30-Minute Walk With Me Workout - start your free trial today and walk with me anytime you want!