Why Losing Just 10 Pounds Can Make A Big Impact On Your Life
by Denise Austin ||
A lot of women ask me about losing weight - what's the best way to do it, how to stay at a lower weight, and how to motivate yourself to get there. But I am asked less about WHY a healthy weight is important. Sure we all want to look good in our clothes, but a healthy weight is more than that - it can have a huge impact on your day-to-day lifestyle!!! The good news is, it doesn't have to be difficult to get there - and stay there! Read on for some of the ways losing just 10 pounds can dramatically improve your health, and tips on losing weight. And check out my 10-Week Plan, a great way to lose weight AND keep it off!
Weight Loss Benefits:
- It can help promote a healthy heart. Exercising and losing body fat can help to promote good (HDL) cholesterol levels; can lower triglycerides (high levels put you at a higher risk of heart attack); and can help to lower blood pressure. When your body weight is higher, you heart works harder, so even a five or 10 pound drop will really help! Try these exercises for heart health and these heart healthy food suggestions, both can help you get towards a healthier weight.
- Lessen the risk of diabetes and cancer. Studies have linked people who have lost weight to lower levels of hormones associated with some cancers, in particular breast cancer. And if you have a family history of type 2 diabetes, or are at risk, weight loss can help to prevent or delay it. If you already have type 2 diabetes, losing weight can be beneficial when it comes to controlling your blood sugar levels and promoting overall health.
- Promotes better rest and sleep. Especially for people with sleep apnea, slimming down can help minimize this condition, and in general, people who are in a healthy weight range tend to get better rest. Plus, getting enough sleep means you will have more energy to stick with a consistent workout plan... not to mention how important sleep is for our well-being and looks!
- Eases the wear and tear on your joints. Did you know that an 10 extra pounds on your body is the equivalent of 40 pounds of pressure on your knees and other lower body joints? If that isn't a reason to get to a healthy weight, I don't know what is! Since we are constantly using our lower body joints, keeping them healthy is so important, and weight loss is good place to start if you are overweight. Try these suggestions for keeping joints healthy.
- Can minimize inflammation. When you are overweight, the fat cells around the belly area can cause inflammation - which is linked to a host of health concerns, including heart disease, arthritis and stroke. Work on minimizing belly fat through exercise and weight loss. (And don't forget about menopause belly - use these tips!)
I would love to introduce you to my daughter Katie she's going to be leading us in a Dance Workout. Are you ready? Yes! Okay let's take it from the top. Let's start off simple and go single single double Single single double, single single double. That's good Katy! She's better than this than I am for sure. Now we're going to go into 4 steps, 1 2 3 4 . you can get low with it too. Great for the hips thighs and butts. Woohoo! Now add to your arms. Great, works the leg that's for sure. One more! Now we're going to go into booty pops, to the side, yeah. Love it, to Moore, okay not taking around. Good! Now other side, I love it. Two more. And take it around, great, Shake It Out. Now we're going to go into standing crunches. That's it, works those abs, I love this one Okay back to Fourth cat stuffed Freddy 1 2 3 4 You can put your own spin on it to like put your booty into it, but use your arms let's get you going. Just gets me going that's for sure. Dance parties this is what we do at home you guys. your booty move good. Really work those hips. Two more and around. Circle circle good use the legs. Around two more and go around.Now we are going to add one of my favorite move a Shimmy Shimmy Shake ready. that's great. Take that. Shimmy really slow and you can feel it in your thighs Good! Love it Keep it up guys! Two more. okay we're going to end it with swap it out cool down good job good job guys all right. Let's shake it out now , Twist it, twist it, it's so fun to work out with my daughter Now if you're at home with your family get moving get moving with me come on Get them off the couch and get moving! Okay now let's take it down now take it down You got it works the waistline use those legs you got it not take it up Take it up that's right woo you got it great Couple more just like that okay take it out just lift the knees thats great your back is nice and straight, good form so important good,Just lift it. Good, two more that's it, now little kicks Little kicks good work it Twist, twist, good, having fun dancing together, the best part of all the family that stays together getsf it together now just think abs and tight elbow elbow to the knee lift the body upright that's good you got it you're doing that Katie ya mom good to hear last one and Shake It Out and Shake It Out And exhale just walk in a circle walking straight and to the other side who you're doing great Mm tap just tap it out at the armed with punches punches you got it just move the body you got it burning fat having a great time that's good burning fat that's it you can do this get your kids to work out with you get your hubby whoever you can two more pump the arms higher higher you got this the whole body that's it couple more just like that last one Okay heel taps get low get low you do side heel taps okay we're going to add some Arms here Katie push it now push it get low push it use your arms Couple more pushes great for the whole body good for the back too, booty the thighs you got it take it push it you got it two more last one okay take it up I felt that one good I did too now march it out work the spine with this, great good for you, it works the core works the torso a couple more and front cha cha front cha cha You got it woo! Now get those hips moving, swivel those hips. Yes enjoy yourself you got it push it, Good, push it, good, work it, good You got it! Have fun! You got it! Couple more just like that All right last one right here you got it! We did it! Thanks Katie! You got it Mom! Katie was great!