Blast Belly Fat After 40!
It’s inevitable that of course as we age, our bodies change... and for many of us, that means belly fat creeps in. While aging impacts your body in many ways, us women find that belly fat in particular becomes more of a trouble zone as you get older. When I turned 48, fat that normally would have gone onto my hips or thighs traveled to my middle.
It was frustrating, but I realized I needed to change my workouts and start watching my calories more closely. For women in our 40s and 50s especially, fat tends to accumulate in the midsection more quickly. That’s because when we reach perimenopause and menopause, our bodies experience a drop in a type of estrogen called estradiol, and you begin to store fat in your abdomen rather than in your thighs, butt, and hips.
Many women lose muscle mass as they age, which further decreases metabolism and can increase that pesky padding around the tummy. It’s important to know that even if you’re in a healthy weight range, you could still be carrying dangerous belly fat – not the little pooch just above your jeans, but visceral fat lying deep within the abdomen that wraps your internal organs. This type of fat interferes with your metabolism and can damage your health, putting you at risk for serious conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, and even cancer.
Call it menopause belly, “meno-pot,” middle age spread… whatever the name, you CAN tackle it! A good exercise program and a few easy lifestyle changes can help reverse this weight gain and get you the firm, flat, attractive tummy you want. Here are my best tips for targeting your tummy and blasting away that unwanted, unhealthy belly fat.
Blast Belly Fat - 6 Tips
- Cardio to Blast Belly Fat: Pump up the cardio. Cardio includes any type of exercise that gets your heart rate up. My favorite form, especially for beginners, is walking – it can be done anywhere, anytime! Start with just 10 minutes a day and work your way up to 30. I also love my new EVER BETTER™ AirWalker for a good cardio workout - you can do it right at home, and blast fat while getting your heart rate up!! The best part about cardio is that your metabolism stays charged for up to two hours afterward, so you’ll continue to burn fat even after you stop exercising.
- Strength Training to Blast Belly Fat: Build more muscle. Fat burns two calories per pound, while muscle – even at rest – burns six to 10. And when in motion, your body’s muscle can help you burn up to 15 to 20 calories per pound! Therefore toning exercises like pushups, lunges, dumbbell curls, and overhead presses are all fabulous metabolism boosters that will boost your body’s overall fat-burning potential. My DeniseAustin.com member area has over 100 toning workouts that help to build muscle - start your free trial now to access them all!
- Ab Moves to Blast Belly Fat: Target your mid-section. I created my Shape, Strengthen and Sculpt Kit as a way to target the core. It helps to not only strengthen your abs and help to blast belly fat, but can elongate your body, promote flexibility and encourage better posture! It uses a stability ball and resistance bands, and you can tackle that mid-section in just 12 minutes a day! Core exercises that really work to whittle the waistline and tackle that extra pudge around the middle!
- Snacks to Blast Belly Fat: Savor a splurge. Food should be your friend – not your enemy. When it comes to snacking, I reach for EVER BETTER™ Protein Bites. Every serving includes 1 billion CFUs of probiotics, which can help to prevent bloating and promote a healthy gut. Little changes like this can help to keep bloating at bay, for a leaner looking midsection. There's four yummy flavors to choose from, so add these protein cookie bites your blast belly fat routine!
- Limit Your Eating Hours to Blast Belly Fat: Close down the kitchen. Try to “fast” for 12 hours each night. Eat most of your calories during the day, when your body is naturally active and you need the calories for fuel. Then close down the kitchen at 7 p.m. until 7 a.m. the next morning, when you can start your day off fresh with a big healthy breakfast to help rein in your appetite for the rest of the day. As a bonus, you’ll probably sleep better at night.
- Posture to Blast Belly Fat: Do the instant tummy tuck! One of my favorite tricks allows you to work your ab muscles all day long and helps you look better instantly: Simply sit or stand up super straight! It might help to imagine that there's a string attached to the crown of your head and it's pulling your whole body upward, tucking your hips under and pulling your abs in tight. An instant "belly lift!"
Let's get fitter together, inside and out,