This Sunday, November 5, 2023 marks the end of Daylight Savings Time (DST) for many people. Fun fact - DST was started as a system to reduce electricity usage by extending daylight hours, taking full advantage of sunlight! While that is a great idea, for some people adjusting to the change is not always easy, and takes a few days. Here are my tips for preparing for time "falling back" this Sunday!
- Adjust the lighting in your bedroom. Since the sun will be brighter when you wake, consider putting heavier blinds up, or wear a sleep mask, for the first week or so. This can help you continue to get your vital quality sleep in the morning.
- Try to stick to the same sleep schedule. Don't stay up an hour later on Saturday, and try to wake when you typically do on Sunday and the rest of the week. This will help you stay on the same track of bedtime at, say, 10 pm and waking at say, 7 am.
- Do a few little things to keep positivity up and help yourself mentally adjust to an earlier evening. I love to place my motivational pieces throughout my house. Go for a walk or tackle some household reorganizing!
- Challenge yourself to some new workouts! With more sunlight in the morning, consider getting in an outdoor workout like a fast-paced walk or run. Or if you want to fill up time in the evening, do a fun dance workout or - if it is closer to bedtime - a yoga workout. Also add my Wake Up Workouts to your mornings to really start the day off right - you will feel amazing!
- Make some healthy meals. It's natural to crave comfort food when it's colder and darker, and that's OK! Just make sure you balance it out with some healthier options - try my Italian Stuffed Peppers and Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables recipes - both are hearty and comforting but still deliver plenty of nutritional benefits!
- If Seasonal Affective Disorder is something that you experience, talk with your doctor and consider light therapy, which can help boost your mood!
At the end of the day, DST beginning and ending is something you have likely gone through before, and your body and mind will adjust - just give it some time and try the tips above!
Let's live FIT, HAPPY and HEALTHY - together!