The question I get asked most often, is how to blast belly fat and get a flat tummy. I have prided myself on a 'rock hard' tummy for my entire career, and I have some tips for you!! These tips have worked for me over the years and will help you tone up your abdominals in whichever stage you may be in! I have always taken a two-pronged approach to blast belly fat: Nutrition and Target Toning.
That's right, nutrition! A crucial component to blasting belly fat has to do with what you eat! If you aren't eating good nutritious food, it will be really tough for you to achieve that toned core that you are looking for. Foods that are jam-packed with healthy fats, protein and fiber can increase the ability of your body to burn more calories and give your metabolism a jump. They’ll also help you to curb mindless eating of foods with less-than-healthy nutritional profiles. Here are some of my favorite belly fat blasting foods. I try to incorporate foods like this into what I eat at least three times every day!
- Eggs: High in both protein and fat content, eggs will help you feel fuller for longer!
- Avocado: Not only are avocados rich in nutrients like vitamins K, C and E, they’re also a wonderful source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, like those found in olive oil.
- Walnuts: Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts are part of a low-glycemic diet—thought to help burn more calories than a high-glycemic diet. Walnuts are also heart-healthy and good for the brain, so eat up!
Toning exercises can help you target and tone specific trouble spots, such as your belly. Blast belly fat with these exercises that can be done along with your regular workout routine to further transform the shape of your body. Remember the rule: If your muscles are toned and taut, nothing can droop or sag! With these exercises, you’ll be creating resistance yourself by contracting or squeezing your abdominal muscles during the move. Perform these exercises 2 to 3 times a week for firmer muscles in as little as three weeks. If you want to use light weights for some of these exercises, go ahead: the more tension on the muscle, the better the results!
- Ab Reach: Lying on your back, lift your legs into the air, forming the letter L with your upper and lower body. Your arms will begin by your side. Then, with abdominal strength, lift up, reaching your hands to your feet. Make sure your legs stay still and your lower back is pressed into the floor to really isolate those abdominal muscles. Try 20 of these, or as many as you can do. It’s a great toner for the upper and lower abdominal region. Also, this is a good way for building a tall spine and good posture.
- Trunk Stabilizer: Begin on your back with both knees bent and arms overhead. Using the muscles in your torso, bring your left knee in toward your chest, at the same time reaching your right arm to your leg. Switch sides and repeat 20 times. You’ll feel this working the rectus abdominis (the front part of your abs) and the obliques (the sides of your waist). It’s a super exercise to target your entire middle section!
- Tummy Tuck: Balance on your tailbone and seat, and let your hands hold you up. Legs will extend in front, creating a V with the body. Pull knees into the chest, crossing at the ankles. Alternate the crossing of the ankles 8 to 12 times.
I hope these tips help you to blast belly fat for good! Consistency is key!! Healthy eating and adding these target toning exercises into your workout routine really will make a difference and give you that rock hard tummy that you are striving for. I love sharing tips like this with you all! Fit Over 50: Make This Your Year! has even more target toning exercises for all your trouble spots - including the back of your arms (no more bat wings!) and your inner thighs. Grab a copy today in your local store or order online!
Let's live EVER BETTER™ - together!!