When it comes to a healthy diet, fiber is IT! Fiber is a nutrient that every one of us needs to include in our diets each and every day. According to the American Dietetic Association, most healthy adults should aim for 20 to 35 grams of fiber a day. Does that sound like a lot? Don't worry — it's not as hard to include in your diet as you might think, and this post will cover 5 easy ways to eat more fiber!(If you want to insure you are getting enough fiber, I can help in another way: my LifeFit 360: 10 Week Whole Body Plan includes a robust, personalized eating plan that focuses on fiber, making it easy for you to get what you need. Start your free trial now and see if it fits your dietary needs - I think it will!)Fiber is found in all the fresh and delicious foods I love: fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, and whole grains. There are two types of fiber:
- Soluble fiber is found in oats, barley, apples, pears, edamame and other soy products, dried beans and peas, and citrus fruit. This type of fiber may help reduce your cholesterol levels, which will protect you from heart disease.
- Insoluble fiber is found in wheat bran, whole-wheat products, and most vegetables. This type of fiber may alleviate constipation by helping waste move through your system faster.
Five simple ways to eat more fiber:
- Eat fruit with breakfast every morning — try berries with your cereal, or slice a banana into yogurt.
- Add lettuce, tomatoes, and onions to your sandwiches and swap white bread for whole wheat.
- Throw a bag of mixed frozen veggies in the microwave for a veggie side dish that's ready in minutes!
- Add vegetables to casseroles, soups, rice dishes – almost anything is better with more vegetables!
- Substitute beans for meat in a recipe this week - think bean burritos, veggie chili or a bean soup.