When it comes to nutrition, I'm a true believer that balance and moderation are key. I've never been one to promote certain diets because I feel that they aren't sustainable to every day life, and every body is different. The way of eating that works great for me, may not be what works best for you! Here are a few of my tried and true nutrition tips. Over the years I have found that these are helpful to everyone and never go out of style:
- Eat whole foods. Eating as many whole foods throughout your day will not only keep you fuller longer, but provide you with so many vitamins and nutrients that you will feel so much better.
- Include protein in every meal. This one is a game changer! I think protein is the most important macronutrient. It will fill you up, give you sustained energy, it's great for your bones and muscle recover (which is so important as we age), and it will help to curb your cravings.
- Don't be intimated to snack, BUT reach for healthy snacks. Having one or two healthy snacks between meals will keep you from becoming ravenous when it's meal time. Some of my favorite healthy snacks include an apple with a handful of nuts, veggies with hummus, or cottage cheese and fruit (notice how I always include a protein!).
- Lastly, don't deprive yourself! Practice the 80/20 rule and you will never get burnt out. Eat healthy 80% of the time, but allow yourself to indulge on occasion. Not depriving yourself of treats that you love will make it easier for you to stay on a healthy track long term - which is what is important. Consistency is key!
One of the easiest ways I have found to work each of these tips into my daily life is to prepare ahead of time. Having healthy meals prepared and ready to eat in your fridge is one of the best things you can do to consistently eat healthy. That's why Denise Austin Prepared Meals have been such a wonderful addition to my daily life!! See below for some facts about my prepared meal program.
- Denise Austin Prepared Meals are created by local chefs along with a crew of nutrition advisors. Our chefs work out of their own, fully certified commercial kitchens to bring you the freshest dishes possible.
- Quality ingredients that are responsibly sourced and nutrient-dense make up all of the prepared meals. Each menu is composed of hand-selected, non-inflammatory ingredients that optimize whole body health. All animal proteins are raised without antibiotics or hormones, and seafood is fished or farmed in ways that don’t harm the ocean environment. We avoid all gluten and dairy ingredients in an effort to provide anti-inflammatory meals. You will also never find highly processed oils or refined sugars on our menus.
- You can conveniently filter meals based on your preferred way of eating, including: My Favorites (Mediterranean style of eating), Plant Based, Low Carb, High Protein, <500 Calories, Low Sodium, Diabetic Friendly and Performance Nutrition.
- You can choose to have all of your meals delivered on Sunday each week, or Sunday and Wednesday if you prefer to get meals twice a week. Order by Thursday of each week for a Sunday delivery!!
If you love the idea of meal prep, but don't have the time or energy to prep - these meals are for you! I hope you give them a try and love them as much as my family and I do! Jeff and eat them several times a week and some of the meals are even large enough for us to share! Click here, add your zip code to see what meals are available in your area, and order today. You will thank yourself next week when you don't have to think about meal prep!!
Let's live EVER BETTER™ - together!!