2 Meal Prep Recipes That You Will Love!
by Denise Austin ||
January is in full swing and this month for so many is all about renewal - a fresh start, a clean slate. Part of starting fresh in the new year is creating a new routine - or restarting a routine that you may have let go of in the rush of the holiday season. Routine, in my opinion, is one of the BEST ways to create healthy habits! You can start small with building your routine, and one way to do this that is so simple and can make the biggest impact is meal prep! I love to take some time during the weekend to prepare in any way I can - like cooking a few healthy food options to have on hand. I always make some hard boiled eggs and some chicken breast, wash and cut some fresh veggies to snack on or throw into a salad for lunch, and prepare a few servings of overnight oats. Making just a few things like this will help to set yourself up for a successful week. Below are two recipes from Fit In The Kitchen - the magazine that Katie and I put together full of quick and easy recipes you and your whole family will love! I love to make a few jars of overnight oats and a big batch of this veggie packed pasta salad, it's great for a quick lunch throughout the week!
Overnight Chia Seed Oats:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 pinch cinnamon
Add all ingredients to a large mason jar or Tupperware container and mix until evenly combined. Refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours before serving. Once the oats are set, top with a little more almond butter, banana slices and cinnamon. Enjoy!
Plant Based Green Pasta Salad: Time: 20 minutes / Servings: 4-5
- 3 cups pasta
- 2 cups broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan feta (optional)
For the Green Sauce:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 cups cilantro
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Splash of water
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cook pasta according to packaged instructions (Katie likes to use chickpea pasta, but you can use whatever kind you like!). Once done, drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Place pasta in large bowl and chill for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a blender, add all sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Once pasta is chilled, add broccoli, kale, green onion and chickpeas to the bowl and mix until well combined. Pour in green sauce and mix until evenly coated. Top with vegan feta crumbles if desired.
I hope you love these two recipes. And if you do, there are more where that came from!! Fit In The Kitchen is available on your local newsstand - check for it in your grocery or drug store. It's packed full of delicious and simple recipes just like these two above; along with how to grocery shop on a budget, quick and easy meal prep ideas and workouts from both Katie and myself. Pick up your copy today or order online here!
Let's live EVER BETTER™ - together!!
PS - If you love my Fit Over 50 Magazine also, you can buy both and save! Get the Fit In The Kitchen and Fit Over 50: New Year, New Goals! bundle here! Xoxo