3 Quick and Easy Recipes!

Denise Austin
by Denise Austin | 
If you know me, you know I love to eat! And while I focus on eating healthy meals at least 80% of the time (and treating myself the other 20%!), one thing I do enjoy discovering are recipes that are healthy - but also quick and easy! Below are three recipes from some of my Fit Over 50 Magazines (you can buy all of the issues here for even more quick, healthy and most importantly - delicious! - recipes)!

Quick and Easy Breakfast: Date Pecan Oatmeal

I love oatmeal in the morning - it fills me up, gives me energy and fiber, and is so comforting in the colder months! This 5-minute meal is from my most recent Fit Over 50: Fall Into Fitness issue! Grab this issue before it sells out for more recipes that are perfect for the cooler months.


1 cup water
3 dates or 1 large medjool date, chopped
1⁄2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 Tbsp. chopped toasted pecans
Dash cinnamon
1 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
Banana slices or apple slices (optional)


1. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the dates and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the oats and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.

2. Top oatmeal with pecans and cinnamon, as well as chia seeds and banana and apple slices if desired.

Quick and Easy Lunch: Grilled Shrimp With Honey-Kissed Pineapple

This light yet satisfying lunch takes less than 10 minutes, and is packed with energy-boosting protein! It's from my Fit Over 50: Healthy In a Hurry issue, which focuses on meals that take no time at all!


1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2  tsp. honey, divided
8 jumbo shrimp
1 cup pineapple, cubed


1. Heat a grill or grill pan over
medium heat. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce and 1 tsp. honey. Pour mixture over shrimp and toss to coat. 

2. Grill shrimp for 2 minutes per side or until cooked through. Meanwhile, skewer the pineapple cubes, brush with remaining 1 tsp. honey, and place on the other side of the grill. Cook for about 1 minute per side, or until juices start to caramelize.

3. Slide pineapple off the skewers and serve with shrimp, or thread together on the skewer for a fun presentation!

Quick and Easy Dinner: Fabulous Fajitas

The great thing about this recipe is how versatile it is - if you don't like red meat, you can use chicken, tofu or even fish! The whole meal takes less than 20 minutes - a quick and easy meal with lots of protein! This is from my Fit Over 50: Spring Into Shape issue!


1 4-oz. piece sirloin tip, thinly sliced
Fajita seasoning
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 cup red and green peppers, thinly sliced
1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
2 corn tortillas
2 Tbsp. salsa 


1. Rub sirloin with fajita seasoning and sauté in olive oil. Cook meat to your desired doneness, remove it from the pan and place it on a plate to rest.

2. Using the same pan, sauté peppers and onions until slightly soft. Add meat back to the pan and heat for 1 minute.

3. Divide filling equally between 2 corn tortillas, then top each with 1 Tbsp. salsa. Roll up and enjoy!

I hope you enjoy all these recipes, and remember - if you don't have a lot of time to make a meal, you don't have to eat junk food! Keep healthy pantry staples on hand, throw together a bowl with greens, grains and a protein, and you will have tided over your hunger while still eating healthy!

Let's live EVER BETTER™ - together!