5 Secrets to Turning Family Time into Fun, Active Time
Hi Everyone! I LOOOOOVE summer! It’s the perfect time to enjoy being active with your family, that's why today I am sharing 5 secrets to turning family time into fun, active time!
Growing up in Southern California with four brothers and sisters, we were always active. And that’s what I have tried to share with my two daughters: a passion for being healthy and taking on physical challenges with a “you can do it” attitude!
What we do as parents is so important – our choices filter down and blossom with the next generation. Being active helps build self-esteem and confidence, especially for girls. My daughters Kelly and Katie were both into sports growing up and they are still very athletic. Today, Kelly is in the music industry and Katie is an amazing fitness expert in her own right. I am so proud of both of them!
And we’re still active as a family! As soon as my daughters come home for a visit, we go out for a walk and talk. Walking is our catch-up time. Katie and I LOVE working out together. In fact, a lot of people wonder how we’ve created that workout bond and how we keep it going, so here are my five secrets to turn family time into active time.
- Be Positive! Make your workout time together a special, stress-free time to ENJOY being together. Don’t bring up tense family subjects and don’t use the private time with your son or daughter to grill them about things! Keep the conversation light and fun!
- Choose activities that you can both do well and enjoy. Don't go for a run if one of you is track star and the other enjoys easy strolling. Find an activity that suits both of you or include ways to balance out your different levels of fitness. Katie and I constantly modify our workouts to fit each other’s strengths and styles.
- Keep it fresh! Invite your son or daughter to show you their favorite new workout and take turns trying new things. What could be better than trying a new class with someone you love right there with you?
- Enjoy a post workout treat together! Katie and I love making our favorite smoothies after a long walk.
- Enter the AARP Fit & Fun Health Challenge with me and my daughter Katie! The challenge? Walk 30 minutes a day and invite your mom, daughter, family and friends to walk and enter, too.
The AARP Fit & Fun Health Challenge is fun – enter (and invite your loved ones), then visit the site every day to log your 30 minutes, watch weekly videos, enjoy great tips on how to nourish your mind, body and spirit, see photos and comments from walkers who have joined the challenge across the country AND earn chances to win some amazing sweepstakes prizes.
This is a perfect way to have fun this summer, connect with your family and loved ones, and give the greatest gift of all: feeling happier and healthier. At the end of the challenge, all participants will have a chance to win a spa getaway for two. What a great way to be active together!
Let's get fitter, together - inside and out,DeniseALSO SEE: Fit Summer Body: 10 Tips To Try