Foods to Minimize For Flat Abs!
There are good and bad fats when it comes to your health, and minimizing the unhealthy - aka saturated - fats, will not only help with a healthy weight, it can protect your heart, too! Eating high amounts of saturated fat can raise your LDL, or “bad” cholesterol, so make sure less than 10% of your daily calories come from saturated fat. Try these tips to minimize unhealthy fats while keeping the flavor!
- Use healthier oils, such as olive oil, whenever you can as a replacement for butter or lard. Or use a small amount of oils with flavor, such as sesame oil in stir-fry, to still get that satisfying taste without the unhealthy fats.
- Sweat your veggies in a little water, wine or stock instead of sautéing them in oil. All the taste, way less fat!
- When reducing the fat, season up with lemon juice, vinegar or a splash of wine - the acidity really makes the flavor shine!
- Use herbs in place of fat. A bunch of fresh basil, a sprinkle of dried dill, and garlic in almost anything really steps up the flavor profile with no added fat.
Foods To Eat For Flat Abs!
Fat-busting foods are the way to go when you want flatter abs, and some of my favorites are below. Add them to your weekly meals, and when coupled with ab workouts, you will see results in no time!
- Salmon. An excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and protein, salmon is a better choice to fuel up your metabolism than carbs. Check out the Smoked Salmon Toast recipe in the latest issue of Fit Over 50.
- Almonds. Fiber, protein, and healthy fats are offered in almonds... and the Journal of the American Heart Association found that eating 1.5 ounces of almonds every day led to reduced fat in the belly! Make almonds a go-to snack when you want a low-carb, high protein treat.
- Greek Yogurt. This creamy treat provides calcium, potassium and protein, and can be used when cooking baked goods, in sauces, and eaten on it's own, topped with some berries. The extra good news is that studies show that high-protein dairy can help you feel full - so you eat less - while boosting fat loss. A win-win!
For more fat-busting, ab-slimming nutrition tips and workouts, check out the latest issue of Fit Over 50: Spring Into Shape, available online and on newsstands.
Let's live EVER BETTER™ - together!