As you have probably seen by now, February is American Heart Health Month, and since heart disease makes up nearly a third of all deaths worldwide, let's do ALL we can to make our hearts healthier! What better time than this month to start adding in the best foods for heart health than now?!
Add these foods for heart health to your diet now, to help promote healthy blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels... all will help you have a healthy heart in the future!
Maximize your diet with these six best foods for heart health:
- Extra virgin olive oil. The fat found in olive oil is monounsaturated, and the healthiest type your can give to your body. Monounsaturated fats promote heart health and can help lower the risk of heart attacks and heart disease.
- Nuts. According to the Mayo Clinic, nuts can be part of a heart healthy diet - they help to lower LDL (which is considered "bad" cholesterol), lower inflammation, and more. What makes nuts a heart healthy choice? They contain unsaturated fats, omega-3s, fiber, vitamin E and plant sterols.
- Green Tea. Green tea provides EGCG, a polyphenol that may help to lower cholesterol and fight inflammation. More good news: There are so many varieties to choose from when it comes to green tea, you would be amazed! Visit a local tea shop, and try adding a cup to your morning meal or afternoon snack.
- Salmon (or other sources of omega-3 fatty acids). Omega-3s can help to protect against heart attack, stroke and diseases linked to inflammation. I try to eat salmon at least once a week, and always buy eggs that are omega-3 enriched. All are good sources of omega-3s.
- Garlic. It has been shown to help reduce cholesterol and blood pressure, so use it liberally in your cooking!
- Leafy greens. Kale and spinach are staples in my kitchen, and for good reason: not only are they highly nutritious, they provide vitamin K and nitrates, which can help reduce blood pressure and improve arterial function. So eat up more dark leafy greens for your heart!
Let's make heart health a priority - together!! Your HEART is worth it. And if you're looking for a new workout to promote a healthy heart - try my new 30-Minute Workout for A Healthy Heart, just added for all of my DeniseAusitn.com members. You will love it!!
Let's live EVER BETTER™ - together!!