I get asked a lot about how to make a successful diet plan... Way too often, people start a diet, get excited about it for a few days, and then return to their normal habits when it gets in the way of their lifestyle. The major problem here is that a diet shouldn’t be a fad or an inconvenience — it should fit seamlessly into your lifestyle, so it is easy to adopt and adapt to! Because if a diet is going to work for you, it’s got to be something you can keep up with day in and day out without getting frustrated. So let's look at some of the ways I have adopted healthy eating into my lifestyle... these tips really work, but don't take a lot of work!
An Easy Guide to Making A Successful DietThe first step to maintaining a successful diet is to recognize that it’s a long-term solution - not a quick fix. Also be aware that changes take a few weeks before they become habits, so really get that mindset of "I can do this!" and stick with it!
Check Your AttitudeI always tell people that having the right attitude is vital to your success. If you want to stick to your diet and achieve your wellness goals, you have to believe that you’re worth the effort! So, if you find yourself thinking negative thoughts about yourself when you look in the mirror, stop it right now and give yourself a compliment instead! We all have things we would like to improve about ourselves, so focus on the positives of what you have, what you want to accomplish, and what your goals are!You, alone, hold the power to decide whether you’re going to be a quitter or a go-getter. And I think you should choose the latter! If you’re finding it hard to think positively, go for a short walk or do a quick workout. A little bit of physical activity can actually completely change your mood for the better. My Whole Body Plan has dozens of short workouts so you can squeeze in a little bit of exercise any time of day!
Follow My Diet “Dos”Instead of telling you what you shouldn’t be doing when it comes to dieting, I’d rather tell you what you can be doing to help yourself succeed. Here are some of the “dos” I follow when it comes to my eating habits.
- Eat until you’re satisfied. Now, this doesn’t mean you should be completely stuffing yourself at every opportunity. It just means you don’t need to starve yourself. You’ll just want to listen to your body and realize when you’ve had enough. Keep in mind that it often takes time for your brain to catch up to your stomach, so consider slowing down or stopping eating before you begin to feel full. Wait a few minutes, and see if you really are still hungry.
- Incorporate a variety of foods into your diet. Balance and moderation are absolutely key. Don’t eliminate entire food groups from your diet (unless you have an allergy or intolerance, of course), and try to eat plenty of fruits and veggies. The eating plan in my membership area offers a wide variety of foods, and when you start your free trial, you have immediate access to my 7-day Vegetarian Challenge - a great way to insure you are getting more produce into your diet, even if just for a week or two.
- Know how many calories you are taking in. There is a reason I created my 1,200, 1,500 and 1,800 calorie meal plans in my Whole Body Plan - it's so easy to mindlessly eat calories that you don't really need - or even want! By sticking to a plan that already does the work for you, you will be less likely to stray off course. If losing weight is truly a goal for you, it takes a combination of regular exercise and eating a certain number of calories. My Plan makes this simple - you choose your calorie level (you can change it at any time!), and you get all your daily meals (plus snacks) recipes delivered right to you! My recipes are equal parts tasty and simple - and always filling, because no one wants to be hungry when dieting! You can start a free trial and check out my eating plan, recipes and workouts today.
- Quench your thirst—even when you don’t feel like it. When you’re drinking enough water, you won’t confuse thirst with hunger and accidentally overeat. Plus, staying hydrated is great for so many other health and wellness reasons, as dehydration can have detrimental effects on your health. Try these tips to drink more water!
- Get up and get moving. Even a few minutes of physical activity each day can make a huge difference in your diet and wellness goals. If you’re pressed for time, try taking the stairs instead of the elevator or doing some squats while you’re watching TV. My Fidget-cisers are one of my favorite ways to burn extra calories!!
- Make it a team effort. I can’t emphasize it enough: Being a part of a community can be so huge for your goals. Find an exercise/diet buddy at work, in your neighborhood, in your group of friends, or even online! My DeniseAustin.com Community has lots of people with similar goals to yours - losing weight, toning up, eating better, feeling healthier... it's a wonderful, supportive group! Start your free trial and check out the Community section - you’ll have all the support you need to reach your goals.
- Snack healthy. If you have cravings between meals, satisfy them with something healthy. I reach for my EVER BETTER™ Protein Bites - they are low sugar mini cookies that provide 6 grams of protein in each serving AND have 1 billion CFUs of probiotics to support gut and immune health. They come in four delicious flavors, so try them today!