As women, we are constantly targeted with fad diets, intense workout regimens, and items we MUST BUY in order to "be our best." I am here to tell you that wellness after 50 doesn't need to include any of things! When you think back to a happy time in your life, you probably weren't eliminating most foods, working out 3 hours a day to reach an unrealistic goal, or stocking up on iterations of products you already owned. For me, my happy times were - and still are - when I feel healthy and filled with energy, sharing time with loved ones, and not putting unnecessary pressure on myself. In other words - when I embrace wellness!
As we age, it's even more important to focus on our health, but in a realistic way. Here are five tips I have used throughout the years to help embrace wellness after 50...they work, and once you make them part of your day-to-day life, I think you will find that wellness is where it's at!
- Follow the 80/20 idea of nutrition. Skip the fad diets, which most people don't follow for too long, and instead consider the 80/20 idea of eating. 80% of the time, I eat healthy. Think lean proteins, whole grains, plenty of fruits and veggies - but all tasting yummy so I don't feel like I am missing out. (Try my healthy, hearty and delicious Bold Beet and Lentil Salad.) Then 20% of the time I treat myself - a scoop of ice cream, or a burger and fries (one of my favorites!). If I have a more indulgent week, I just keep myself in check more the next week. This way I am fortifying my body with the nutrients it needs to age well, but still enjoying the deliciousness that food offers!
- Make exercise simply part of your day. We all go through phases of not wanting to workout. BUT - we need exercise to help keep our bones and joints healthy, our cardiovascular system strong, our cores engaged. Consider taking on the mindset of exercise is like brushing your teeth - it just simply should be part of your every day activities! Whether you go for a long walk, put on some good music and clean your home, or do one of my workouts, like my Fit over 50 Yoga Balance Workout, make sure you are moving around for at least 30-45 minutes every day. I promise that once you do this, you will feel and look better - for the rest of your life!
- Practice mindfulness. I've always been a positive person, but lately being mindful has been a bigger part of my daily life. When I am with family or friends, I put the phone away and focus on them. When I go for a walk, I really take in the smells, sights and sounds around me. And when I eat, I savor the flavors and textures. I have also started to practice mindful breathing more - something you can do anytime, anywhere!
- Connect with others. Especially as we get older, friendships can change, family dynamics may shift, and it becomes easier to say "no" when offers to get together come up. Sometimes it is good to say no - but human connection is VITAL to wellbeing after 50! Whether you reach out over the phone, make plans to meet in person, or go out by yourself and talk to the shop owners, connection is important and so gratifying.
- Give yourself a break! Women have a lot of expectations placed on us - raising kids, taking care of a home, making dinner, working, staying fit...the list goes on. So give yourself a break! Pass off dinner making to your partner or kids a few times a week. Go take a bath and let someone else walk the dog. A little self care goes a long way!
I hope these wellness after 50 tips help YOU embrace the aging process and make your days, weeks, months and YEARS healthier and happier. You are WORTH IT!!
Let's live EVER BETTER™ - together!!