Ask Denise: How do I find time to workout in my busy schedule?
by Denise Austin ||
I love when people come up to me wherever I go and ask me health and fitness questions, and how to workout in a busy schedule is a popular question! Over the years, I’ve been asked every question in the book, from what’s the best way to tighten your tummy after having a baby, to tips on how to have younger looking skin, and, of course, everyone always asks me about what I eat. I am always happy to share my advice on health and fitness! I love helping you all and your stories mean so much to me.For years, I featured a segment on my TV show called Ask Denise that was really popular and a great way to connect with everyone. Viewers would write in to the show and I would share their stories and answer their questions on the air.I am so inspired by my amazing online community in my 10-Week Plan! I love going in and reading how everyone is doing and seeing how much team members support and encourage each other in their incredible journeys to happier, healthier and fitter lives - that’s what it’s all about.I asked members about what they might like to see featured in Ask Denise and the responses have been so much fun! It was hard to pick just one!Here’s a great question from member NonaB in Florida who writes, “Dear Denise, I have no time to exercise no matter how I try and rework my daily to-do list. Do you have any tips for me as to how to make it work?”This is the number one question I get - how to fit it in to your schedule every day. That’s why I’m a big believer in just 30 minutes a day, every week. It really affects your health and well-being. Fitness is a lifestyle, and to make it yours really requires a bit of extra juggling.First of all, NonaB, you need to release yourself from the guilt! We all feel pressed to get everything done in our busy lives and it’s really hard to keep up with everything we want to do and to carve out the time to take care of ourselves, too. As a busy, working mom, I totally get it! Sometimes it just starts with baby steps that are easy to grow into a habit - even if you start with only 10 minutes each day and then work up gradually to that 30-minute goal.By squeezing in a 10-minute workout to your schedule, you will find that it will give you a boost of energy that will help you get through the day, and will help to keep you motivated. Start with 10 minutes, then the next week you can do 15 minutes… then 20, and before you know it, you’ve reached your 30-minute goal and created a healthy habit. You CAN find 10 minutes! You need to make yourself a priority because YOU are worth it! And I promise you that you’ll be so glad that you did! You can even start with 10 minutes and then squeeze in other 10 minute moments throughout your day so that they all add up to 30 minutes? That counts, too!Here are a few ideas for you to get you started…
- A 10-minute walk before work (if you get it done before the day starts then you’ll feel great knowing it’s already done and you can cross it off your list!)
- Put on two songs and dance away! (Or try my Mother-Daughter Dance Workout on my 10-Week Plan - it’s a quickie 10-minute cardio routine that will burn fat and get your heart pumping!
- March in place or even try some squats when you’re watching the news. (Turn idle time into toning time!)
- A 10-minute bike ride with your spouse or your child before or after dinner (spending quality time together working out is a great ritual to have in your daily life).
- A 10-minute walk up and down the stairs. For an added challenge, try skipping a step to tighten your tushie!
- Or one of the many great 10-minute segments of low-impact cardio using one of the videos from my 10-Week Whole Body Plan! All my workouts are broken up into 10-minute segments so you can easily work some quick, focused exercise into your daily regimen. Start with some abs in the morning when you wake up, then do upper body when you get home in the evening or a 10-minute Barre toning or legs workout - there are so many to choose from to get you started!