Hi Everyone! Today we are wrapping up our Nutrition Month focus by looking at healthy snacks that are easy to make while also being delicious AND nutritious – so today we cover 10 easy and healthy snack ideas! I’m a big believer in snacks as long as they’re healthy: a good snack will tide you over so you don’t overeat later, and it can provide an energy boost if you are feeling the afternoon slump. Especially around 3 o’clock, you should eat something healthy so you’re not eating junk when you get home before you eat your dinner. Snacking can be healthy – it’s all about what you choose, and these 10 easy and healthy snacks are a great way to start.
Whether or not you have kids (who always seem to be hungry!), these easy and healthy snacks are good for when you are alone or have little mouths to fill up. It’s nice to get creative in the kitchen, and these easy snack ideas are not only healthy, but will teach everyone good, healthy eating habits!
Here are some easy and healthy snacks to try out – and if you want more healthy eating insight, start your free trial of my LifeFit 360 Plan! My 10-Week Whole Body Plan has an entire eating plan to keep your nutrition goals on track, and my new Eat Like Denise Plan offers up more quick and easy recipes that are healthy and delicious!
1. Life is a bowl full of cherry tomatoes! This snack is simple and based on whole foods, and a GREAT alternative to chips or other unhealthy snack foods. Simply put one cup of fresh, ripe cherry tomatoes – yellow and red ones are so sweet and yummy – into a bowl and you are set!
2. Polk-a-dot protein power: A traditional snack from childhood that is still a healthy choice! Take two tablespoons of natural peanut butter, spread on some celery sticks, and top with one teaspoon of raisins. Salty, crunchy and sweet all at the same time!
3. Make a parfait: In a bowl combine 1/2 cup of yogurt, sprinkle with two tablespoons of whole grain cereal and 1/4 cup of blueberries, and you have a sweet, healthy snack that offers up fiber, protein and vitamins!
4. Sweet pita: Fill 1/2 of a whole grain pita with 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese, apple slices and sprinkle with cinnamon. A healthy version of apple pie!
5. Savory popcorn: Sprinkle hot popcorn with two tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese for a savory snack filled with fiber.
6. Cheese and cracker classic: Perfect for when you are on-the-go, snack on one part-skim mozzarella string cheese, with 6 whole grain crackers. It will fill you up and give you an energy boost!
7. Double round: Make your snack time circle time by munching on a hard-boiled egg (lots of protein) and a tangerine (vitamin C galore!).
8. Make a banana split! Take one small banana sliced lengthwise, and top it with whole grain cereal sprinkles and one tablespoon of dark chocolate chips.
9. Fruit and cheese kabob: Take one part-skim mozzarella string cheese and cube it, then thread on to a kabob spear, alternating it with fresh grapes. Fun to look at and eat.
10. Blue citrus fruit treat: Take 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup sliced oranges, and one tablespoon of almond slivers. Chop the oranges, combine in a bowl with blueberries, top with the almonds and enjoy this healthy vitamin- and protein-filled snack.
For more healthy snacks and nutrition tips start your 7-day free trial of my LifeFit 360: 10-Week Whole Body Plan today! Then this Monday, I will guide you through 10 weeks of workouts, healthy recipes and more – just in time for a summer-ready body by Memorial Day! You can do it, and I am here to help!
Let’s get fitter, together – inside and out!